Hi all! I wanted to share a recipe I thought you might like for Chicken Madras. It's part of a neat feature called Dinner and a Game at our website, Casual Review (original article) written by our resident chef and sweetheart, Sara Schweid, but I'm reprinting it here for everyone to enjoy. Here's the text from the second half of the feature:
To go along with the Indian-theme of this game, I’ve got a delicious meal for you this week, and yes, it’s an actual dinner this time (I’ve been sort of on a dessert kick). Chicken Madras is a flavorful dish filled with traditional Indian spices. You should be able to buy the curry powder, curry masala gravy and garam masala (a blend of ground spices) in the spices aisle of your local grocery store, or else at a specialty market. Curry comes in a variety of heat (from mild to spicy), and you can use whichever you prefer. This recipe is quick and easy and a delicious supplement for this fun and addictive game.
Chicken Madras (Serves 2)
- 3 chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 1 cup curry masala gravy
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- ½ cup grated ginger
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
1. Start by making a paste of the curry powder and chili powder with just enough water to get it wet and sticky.
2. Fry the onion in a pan with the oil until it's translucent.
3. Add the garlic, ginger and cayenne pepper and fry it another 30 seconds or so.
4. Add the curry and chili powder mixture and stir until combined.
5. Add the chicken and fry until the chicken is cooked a bit on the outside.
6. Add the masala gravy and simmer until the chicken is cooked, stirring constantly.
7. When it's almost done, add the coriander and stir.
8. Serve this delicious treat with a side of basmati rice.
If you like the recipe and the writing, we have a nice backlog of Dinner and a Game features and new ones each week at the website! Check us out here.